Sunday, July 30, 2017

Mecha Musume - Becky Law

Hey there plamo nerds! I've been publishing one review after another, and it's almost as if this place is turning into a proper blog. We can't have that can we? Time to break up the seriousness with a long-overdue Mecha Musume interview! Today we have a very special guest from Malaysia who started mangling plastic robots long before many of us (myself included) got into the hobby.
A renowned modeler and extremely versatile artist that dabbles in almost every plastic and resin genre there is - ladies and gents allow me to introduce to you all, the talented Becky Law - a.k.a. Becky Customizer!



Click on the Read More link for the rest of this post...





Q. What is your full name, nickname, or online name?
A. Been using Becky Law since I active in gunpla and scale model field, it also my forums nickname, Later in 2010 started created my page under Becky Customizer brand.




Q. How old are you, and how long have you been building kits?
A. I started gunpla back during college time, which is around 2004, as for my age, take a guess. *wink*

Q. Where are you from and where do you currently live?
A. I’m a Malaysian. Born in Bukit Mertajam, Penang state. Now work and live in Kuala Lumpur.



Q. Where do you get your kits from?
A. Usually get from local hobby such as Lit Tak, Angel Trading, etc.

Q. What other hobbies do you have aside from Gunpla / Model building?
A. My other interests are watching anime, manga, movies.




Q. What is your current occupation, or are you still in school?
A. Commission builder and online seller for modeling tools and materials.

Q. Are you married? In a relationship? Do you have children?
A. Married, no children yet.




Q. What was the first kit you ever built and how was the experience?
A. First ever kit I remember is a F71 from Gundam F91. Old kits which I build together with my sibling, not a great build but we had fun, that was during my primary school time, if not mistaken. I just realized it’s a Gunpla after long time.






Q. How did you get into building gundam / mecha kits?
A. It’s my interest for destroying and building stuff, and Gunpla is quite famous and easy to get.

Q. What kind of kits do you usually build? Is there any specific line you collect or just build anything you like?
A. What I build and how should I build a Gunpla is actually very random. It’s all come from everyday inspiration. Beside Gunpla I build other scale model as well.






Q. How many kits have you built to date?
A. I had lost count, perhaps more than 50 plamo.

Q. What is your dream kit?
A. Ever changing, too many great stuff

Q. What is your favorite tool in your toolbox, and why?
A. Well, if I say Godhand ultimate cutter some will say I hard sell, eh I just did. :p

Q. Do you paint your kits? If so, what do you use?
A. Yes, I paint my kits. I use hand paint, airbrush and can spray which ever can get the job done.






Q. Do you do custom builds or do you always build according to manual?
A. I do out of box build and custom.

Q. If you do custom work, where do you get inspiration for your custom projects?

A. For me, inspiration comes from everyday life, just need to observe.

Q. How do you stay motivated to finish large projects?
A. Motivation is a hard task for me, I can’t stay motivated and I stray from one projects to another. To get motivated is not to think too much of it, also make a routine for yourself, which is the hardest for me, and I take a long time to complete projects.







Q. Do you work on multiple projects simultaneously or do you focus on one project at a time?
A. Yes, I work on multiple projects. Can’t focus on one.

Q. Are there any special techniques you use when building your kits?
A. Nothing special, very common techniques which can be found on Youtube. Just personal touch which I believe everyone has their own way.








Q. Can you share any building tips?
A. I do share my tips in my Blog. (www.beckycustomizer.com)

Q. Can you share any budget tips for the hobby?
A. My budget way is get second hand Gunpla, which are already snapfit and sold half price, some tools I get it from DIY store, such as using spray can for large projects. Some weathering paints and material can be art shop grade, not necessarily hobby grade stuff.








Q. What kit/s are you currently working on?
A. Personal build: 1/700 Hasegawa Kaga (ship)
1/144 Snake mecha (kitbash gunpla, which took more than a year already)

Q. What advice can you give to people who are just starting in the hobby?
A. Enjoy your build, it’s a hobby in the end, don’t stress yourself.





Q. Can you share some inspiring words for females who might be apprehensive of getting into the mecha modeling hobby?
A. Just focus on what you enjoy, but be prepared that it’s a male dominant hobby, from my experience the friends I got are very welcoming and I enjoy sharing the same hobby with them.

Q. Would you like to share an experience that might help the mecha modeling community in general?
A. Enjoy the hobby, try to join more hobby events, it will help you open your minds and inspire your builds. Meet new friends and grow your knowledge.






Being a commission builder with her level of skill means she has her hands full, and I'd like to thank Becky for finding time to sneak this interview in between her projects! Head on over to her blog to see more of her splendid work, as well as excellent tutorials and reviews. And if you're in Malaysia make sure you visit her online store!




That's all for today, until next time, keep building plamo!




No comments:

Post a Comment